Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Song of the Earth

I live in memory
But I am not any such thing that you can touch as a pleasure, or lust for spring
Sing the song of the earth and know everything

I am a lazy river forgotten within you
But I am not any such thing you can deny
Sing the song of the earth and you must cry from the waves lapping at your door

We all fawn overreaching beyond humble goals
Thinking that by trying or dying we needn't finish what we started
Sing the song of the earth and millions die
Telling stories backwards

We rumble our feet to no response
Cut down every tree to count the rings
Hallow to the core her supple body
And demand the void to come before us
Sing the song of the earth and know the secret is no seeker after all

We sing the song of the earth as we rest
As the old scenes are worn down with rain
Children are allowed to forget
So we live as memory and they live tomorrow

The song of the earth is never done
So sing it as it must be sung
Into my ear she'll listen
Confessing all

-Billy Corgan

1 comment:

mattbeatty said...

I will always love Billy and his lyrical poetic originality.